Denver area real estate investors who hope to purchase commercial real estate may want to look at the different options available to them. In fact, there are a lot of different kinds of commercial real estate that you might want to invest in depending on your interests, experience and what’s available for purchase in the area you’re focusing on.
Let’s say, for example, that you have a lot of experience in the maintenance and upkeep of multi-family residential properties. Perhaps you will be interested in buying an apartment building or an apartment complex. This article will review five different kinds of commercial real estate properties that you might want to consider in this regard.
5 kinds of commercial properties
Most commercial real estate investors will settle on one of the following five categories of commercial property:
- Multi-family buildings: These kinds of property include duplex homes, apartment complexes, condominiums and other multi-family residential buildings in which tenants rent space where they will live.
- Retail property: These properties include shopping centers, strip malls, free-standing retail spaces and more. These types of properties represent a large portion of the commercial real estate market.
- Industrial property: Industrial real estate includes structures used for manufacturing, refineries, factories and other properties that often need special zoning in order to operate due to environmental concerns.
- Office buildings: These are buildings used by companies to conduct administrative tasks. They might include doctors’ offices, law firms, accounting firms, consultancy firms, architectural businesses and more.
- Other kinds of specialty real estate: This category is generally used for miscellaneous property uses that resist being put in a category. Perhaps an ice skating rink, a haunted house, an amusement park or some other property use will fall under this category.
Consider all your options before deciding to buy
Budgetary and market concerns, in addition to your own area of expertise, may influence the kind of commercial property you wish to buy. It’s best to review all your options and do your homework thoroughly regarding the law and property zoning concerns before you choose to invest a significant amount of capital in any kind of commercial property venture.